For a city our size, Muncie boasts remarkable arts and culture amenities that are affordable (or free!)
See the page GET CONNECTED for an even longer list of cultural events, attractions, and ways to get connected.
Located on Ball State’s campus, DOMA is one of the nation’s largest and finest university art museums, with a collection of nearly 11,000 works valued at more than $40 million. The museum is free and open to the public year-round.
Location: BSU Fine Arts Building, 2021 W Riverside. Phone (765) 285-5242
Our city-wide arts alliance builds community among artists and arts organizations in Muncie. Programs include:
- That One Film Festival, dedicated to screening and exhibiting works of moving images that are experimental, weird, no/low budget, avant-garde, and fun. A collaboration with the Ball State School of Art.
- Box! Box!, a project to engage local artists in painting traffic signal control boxes across the community. Since 2018, almost 30 boxes have been transformed into public works of art.
- PlySpace, an immersive, Artist-in-Residence program. PlySpace provides dedicated space and time for residents to experiment and spark conversation and collaboration with various Muncie communities. A collaboration with the City of Muncie, Ball State School of Art, and Sustainable Muncie.
The site of the Ball Brothers’ historic homes along the White River, Minnetrista’s forty-acre campus includes beautiful gardens, historic homes, nature areas, children’s play areas, and a Saturday morning Farmers Market. The main building features consistently rotating educational programs, art exhibits, and interactive experiences for all ages.
The iconic series “Joy of Painting” was filmed out of the historic L.L. Ball home on Minnetrista’s campus from 1983 to 1988. The rest is happy trees history! Minnetrista has partnered with Bob Ross Inc. to open a permanent space in Fall 2020 celebrating Bob’s legacy and inviting others to explore their inner artist
Located on the northeast side of Downtown Muncie, Cornerstone offers arts programming in visual arts, dance, music, theatre, fitness, martial arts, and more in a unique historic setting. Whether you already have some experience or want to learn a new skill, there are many opportunities to explore at Cornerstone.
Location: 520 E Main St, Muncie, IN 47305 Phone (765) 281-9503
MadJax is a large maker space in Downtown Muncie that fosters a collaborative environment of exploration and creation and is home to a number of local artists – pottery, woodworking, fashion design, digital fabrication, letterpress, bookbinding, painting, sculpture and more.
Beyond I Can, also located in MadJax, providing opportunities for individuals with intellectual/ developmental disabilities to explore through creative media. Their gift shop features original arts and crafts year-round.
The first Thursday of each month features a gallery walk around Downtown Muncie! Watch and learn from local artists as they perform their craft in various downtown shops. Special features and events are showcased on First Thursdays throughout the year.
Feel the pulsating rhythms of Muncie’s colorful music scene. Taking in a classic orchestral performance at Emens Auditorium or letting your hair done at a raucous rock show at one of the local house venues near campus, our music scene can touch whatever note you’re looking for.
Ball State School of Music: Ball State’s award-winning faculty, students, and noted guest artists present more than 300 concerts, recitals, master classes, and lectures throughout the year. Most events are free and open to the public. Also offered: Individual lesson programs, sensory-friendly concerts, youth symphony orchestra, New Horizons Orchestra for adults ages 50+, community choirs, and United Sound, a partnership that provides college-aged individuals with disabilities a music-making experience with Ball State Bands.
Emens Auditorium: Ball State’s premiere performance halls bring to town a diverse array of guest artists, productions, and celebrities of national and international prominence to share live performance and entertainment with East Central Indiana. From traditional to the innovative, from Broadway musicals to guest lecturers, there is something for everyone.
Muncie Symphony Orchestra: Enjoy the symphony – right in your backyard! The MSO enriches quality of life in Muncie through live orchestral performances and education outreach, presenting classical and pops concerts, chamber concerts, and free community engagement programs.
Three Trails Music Series: This annual summer music series brings critically acclaimed, national recording artists to perform at Canan Commons, downtown Muncie’s outdoor performance venue. All concerts are free to the public and also celebrate our city’s many cultural attractions.
Other Local Live Music:
We have a wide range of local musical talent that is regularly featured across the city. Here are just a few of our local venues:
- Elm Street Brewing Company: Open mic nights, jazz nights, and special artists served up with locally-sourced beer and food.
- Be Here Now: Self-described as the “underground railroad” for local musicians, the unique mix of artists and students is unlike anything else in Muncie.
- Valhalla: Live music in a Viking setting? The Valhalla Room is a premier music venue offering live entertainment from a wide pool of local and regional talent and touring national acts.
- Tonne Winery: Take in the music with a Pino or two at this slice of Napa Valley in Muncie.
- Guardian Brewing Company: Independent brewery dedicated to brewing quality craft beers and being involved in the community as much as possible, often featuring local artists and musicians.
- The Scene: A public radio show that celebrates live music from across Indiana. Each week features an hour of live music from local venues, produced in collaboration with Ball State’s Music and Media Production department.
Founded in 1931, the Muncie Civic Theatre is one of the oldest in the state and is located in one of the oldest theaters in the country. Dozens of mainstage, studio, and youth productions are offered throughout the year, providing quality entertainment by community members for community members! The theatre provides quality K-12 theatre education and one of only four barrier-free theatre programs in the nation, offering adults with disabilities the opportunity to share their voices by developing, performing, and producing an original play.
The nationally-recognized theatre and dance program offers 20+ plays, musicals, original productions, and dance performances and recitals each year featuring award-winning faculty, students, and guest directors and performers.
Experience the night sky as you have never seen it before! The 52-foot dome immersive theater features state-of-the-art technology that combines real images from spacecraft and telescopes with advanced computer graphics. Programs are free and offered throughout the year
The official national body for U.S. model aviation is located right here in Muncie! Its 200,000 members represent every walk of life and age group and participate in more than 2,000 AMA-sanctioned model competitions each year.
A number of events are held on the AMA’s campus each year, including the National Aeromodeling Championships. The public is invited to watch these works of art perform jaw-dropping aerobatics and even try their hand at flying their own creation.
The museum offers a rich history of model aeronautics, a Hall of Fame, and a number of interactive experiences like model flight simulators, computer games, wind tunnels and more! Location: 5161 E Memorial Dr, Muncie — Phone (765) 287-1256
Located in the heart of downtown at the Horizon Convention Center, the museum’s mission is simple: To provide fun through educational and interactive opportunities for children of all ages in a safe and creative environment.
Features include Discovery Park STEM exhibit, Tot Spot for children 5 and under, Water Works, Make Believe Theater, Nutrition Kitchen, a giant Lite Brite, and special events throughout the year! Location: 515 S High Street Muncie, IN 47305 (765) 286-1660